Friday, June 1, 2007

"Fairy-tale" and "Vintage" Living

Well, it seems that we can't decide whether we're going to rent a house or buy a house or what. One thing we do know is that we want to move. Mostly I just really want more of a yard for the kids but there is also the matter of a third bedroom. My very (very, very, very) practical Father-in-law pointed out that he shared a bedroom with his sister until he was 9. All well and good. No problem. EXCEPT that Gracie is not sharing a room with her brother; she is sharing a room with her PARENTS. And as much as I'm enjoying that right now, 8 years and 8 more months of it is just not going to cut it!
We looked at a house for rent earlier in the week and I loved it! The yard in particular was dreamy. The problem was mostly just that it reminded us a little too much of the 3 dwarves' house. Yup, I know there were 7 in the story...but they wouldn't all fit in this house! If you know me you're probably thinking, what's the problem Shorty? And yes, you're right. I would fit quite neatly into that teeny weeny house. The kids would too, at least for now. But my dear husband has a tendency to get very, very, VERY frustrated by spaces that are too small for him and alas, he is better suited for a part in "Jack and the Beanstalk" (remember the giant?) than "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves". Soooo....
Today we looked at a house for sale. We knew it was "vintage" (1820s) and yes, we knew that that's realtor-speak for OLD! But we knew it had a lot of history too and we looove history. Plus, we could tell by the pictures that it has a fantastic yard AND it's in our price range. That should have been our first clue. A 4 bedroom house with a large lot in our price range? Something doesn't add up there. But, we deluded ourselves into thinking that it was worth looking at and off we went.
And it was a great house! In 1820. Let me put it this way. Everything looked original. Also, it maybe hadn't been lived in or cleaned in 185 a few years. Ok, so I'm exaggerating a little. But STILL! It wasn't for us.
So the search continues. I don't think I even know what I want to do. The next door neighbors have an RV. Maybe we should borrow that and take this show on the road! Just kidding! Really! Please don't email me and tell me how we're not allowed to move farther away!

3 comments:

Doug said...

FEE FIE FOE FUM, I need more room than this to park MY bum!!!

Gretchen said...

It's "beer friday" at work isn't it honey?

Doug said...

Well yes, but that comment was just a result of my usually oddness.